|Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about
- What is Interlibrary Loan?
- Who is eligible for Interlibrary Loan?
- What can I request through Interlibrary Loan?
- What CANNOT be requested through Interlibrary Loan?
- How do I sign up for an ILL account?
- Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
- What should I use for my username and password?
- What if I forget my password?
- Is security a problem if I use a public
- How do I submit a request?
- How many items can I request?
- How much does ILL cost?
- Are overdue fines charged on ILLs?
- What if the ILL is lost or damaged?
- How long does it take to receive an ILL?
- How will I know when my request has arrived?
- What is electronic delivery of articles?
- How do I view my article?
- Where can I pick up and return my ILL?
- How long can I keep my ILL?
- Can I renew ILLs?
- How do I get more help with ILL?
- Important Copyright Information
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is an agreement between libraries to share materials by borrowing and lending materials to each other. This service provides our customers with access to materials not available at the EVPL library. If the library does not own a specific item, it can usually be borrowed from another library. Items that are owned by the EVPL library cannot be requested on ILL.
- EVPL adult residents, ages 18 and above, with a valid card in good standing (no fines or fees over $10.00).
- Courtesy, PLAC, and subscription cardholders are not eligible for ILL through EVPL. These cardholders may request an ILL through their home library.
- New Borrowers must wait 30 days, until they become regular borrowers, before requesting an Interlibrary Loan item.
- Book chapters. If more than 25 pages are requested as a book chapter, the book will be requested instead of the chapter.
- Magazine and journal articles. We request photocopies of articles instead of requesting magazines or journals.
- AV materials (DVDs, music CDs, Audiobooks). We are unable to borrow AV materials from other libraries.
- Newly published items. Generally, libraries do not borrow or lend new materials that have been published within the last three months.
All first time users must register for ILL service by completing the registration form for ILLiad. ILLiad is the electronic system you use to request an item for interlibrary loan. Visit the First Time Users page to register. Once you've set up your account, you can logon to the ILLiad request system with your username and password.
Your username and password allows you secure access to information about your interlibrary loan requests. From you ILLiad account you can;
- Submit a request for materials.
- View outstanding requests.
- View request history.
- Cancel a request.
- Resubmit a cancelled request.
- Modify your personal information, including address, phone number, and email address.
- Change your account password.
Your username and password can be anything you like, such as your name, abbreviations, or an alphanumeric code. We recommend that you follow good security practice and choose a password that is different from those you use to access other systems. The password you set is stored in an encrypted file. Library staff does not have access to your password, but staff can reset your password upon your request.
- Your username must be at least 5 characters up to a maximum of 40 characters.
- Your password must be at least 5 characters up to a maximum of 14 characters.
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Office by email via Ask EVPL or by phone at (812) 425-4721. Staff can reset your password allowing you access to ILLiad. You should change your password once you logon to ILLiad.
Yes, it can be a problem because web browsers cache information and create a history file on the local workstation.
This allows a subsequent user of the workstation to access the system under your name
using the browser's Back button to recall a page from the cache, or by finding a page with
your personal information in the browser's history file.
To prevent others from accessing your information, logout of ILLiad, and always CLOSE or EXIT the web browser before you leave a public workstation. Closing the web browser prevents the Back button from accessing the pages you were using and ends your session.
- Verify that EVPL does not own the item by searching the online catalog at http://www.evpl.org.
- Log on to your ILLiad account.
- Select the appropriate request form for a book or a photocopy.
- Complete the request form, entering as much information about the item as possible. Author and title information is required. Include publisher and publishing date if a specific edition is needed. Use the Notes field if necessary.
- Click on the Submit Request button.
There is no monthly set limit. However, there is a limit of 10 per month that can be requested before a processing fee is charged.
There is no processing fee for the first ten (10) ILLs requested in a month (i.e. January 1 - January 31). For additional requests, a $1.00 or $5.00 processing fee is charged depending on if the item is borrowed from an Indiana library or from an out-of-state library.
Some libraries impose additional charges for loans, photocopying or copyright fees. You will be contacted if the lending library requests fees. You can decide to pay the fees and proceed with the request, or you may cancel the request at that time at no charge.
Yes, EVPL does charge overdue fines on Interlibrary Loan materials. Overdue fines are $.50 per day up to a maximum of $5.00 per item.
You are responsible for any replacement costs for any lost or damaged ILL that is requested and checked out in your name. You may be required to make payment directly to the lending library. Contact the Interlibrary Loan Offic at (812) 425-4721 if you have a lost or damaged item.
Generally, 3-10 days. Arrival time varies depending on whether the item is available, where it is located, and how it is being shipped. Planning ahead is essential!
Books, videos (LOANS)
- You will receive either an email or a phone call from EVPL's hold notification system.
- You may also receive an email from ILLiad if an email address is listed on your account. Please make sure the library has your current email address and/or phone number, and your personal information is current in your ILLiad account.
Articles and chapters from books (ELECTRONIC DELIVERY OF COPIES)
- You will receive an email from ILLiad if an email address is liated on your account.
- Otherwise, you will receive a phone call from the Interlibrary Loan Office.
Most libraries deliver photocopies of articles in electronic format, which you are able to view from your ILLiad account.
You will need Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view, download, and print your articles or book chapters. Acrobat Reader is available without charge from Adobe Systems, Inc.
- Logon to your ILLiad account.
- On the main menu page, choose "View/download Electronically Received Articles" for a list of all items that you have waiting to view or download.
- Select the article to view. (Your document should appear as a PDF in Adobe Reader.)
- Immediately print or save the article, since the time and viewing of electronically delivered articles is limited. Use the print and save options within the Adobe Reader window.
- You select your pickup location in your ILLiad account. I can be Central Library or any of the seven branches of the EVPL system.
- You can return your ILL to Central Library or any of the seven branches of the EVPL system.
Loan periods are decided by the lending library, which may or may not grant renewals.
- Usually, you can keep a book for 3 weeks.
- Photocopies are yours to keep.
- Electronic articles are available for 5 viewings or 2 weeks, whichever comes first. You can also print or save the articles.
Usually ILL materials can be renewed, but the Interlibrary Loan Office must first contact the lending library for approval. Please request a renewal at least two (2) days prior to the due date.
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Office for renewals by email via Ask EVPL or by phone at (812) 425-4721 Mon-Fri 9:00am-4:30pm.
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Office by email via Ask EVPL or by phone at (812) 425-4721 Mon-Fri 9:00am-4:30pm for help with:
- Verifying whether the library owns your needed item.
- Completing the ILLiad registration form.
- Submitting or cancelling a request.
- Obtaining information regarding the status of your request.
- Renewing an ILL.
- Technical problems with the ILLiad website.
Important Copyright Information
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTION
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
- Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
- This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.